Friday 28 September 2018

Ride the 35 on You Tube thanks to a guy called Matt

I am not a great user of the web when its comes to things like Facebook and You Tube, but I have recently found two wonderful videos on the latter, posted by a guy called 'Matt' showing the full journey of the 35 in both directions from the front seat on the top deck. The videos are each just over 5 minutes long, so the journey is done in 'quick time'. Here are the links (just click on the underlined link to open):

VICTORIA CENTRE TO BULWELL JOURNEY


BULWELL TO VICTORIA CENTRE JOURNEY




Ideally it would be great to add a brief commentary to the videos for the bus stops where you can get off to explore. I will try to make contact with Matt.

The first 35 ran on 26 October 1980, linking the city’s very new University Hospital (better known as ‘the Q.M.C.' to locals) with Bilborough, Strelley, the Broxtowe Estate and Bulwell direct for the first time. 

In other words the 35 bus is within weeks of celebrating its 35th anniversary. When I lived in Lenton I could see the 35 bus from my living and bedroom windows, living, as we did, within view of the Derby Road in on one of Nottingham’s three Promenades (ours was Devonshire, overlooking Lenton Recreation Ground; the others are The Promenade and Waterloo Promenade). All Victorian, all elegant, overlooking open space. From then on I was using the 35 regularly to reach The Headstocks pub on the edge of the ward I was fighting in the 1981 Nottinghamshire County Council election, which was six months away, and the home of my agent. The 35 was always there, reliable, convenient, full of life. It was, and remains, everything a bus route should be, with the added bonus of being rich in history and places to visit.

Finally, at the same time as I found Matt’s 35 videos I found this one. Enjoy...

ALSO LOUGHBOROUGH TO NOTTINGHAM ON A NOTTINGHAM CITY TRANSPORT NO.1 BUS.


No comments:

Post a Comment